"I do not just want to read books; I want to climb inside them and live there." -Anonymous

March 10, 2012

Sunday Book Reviews - Amanda Hocking's My Blood Approves Series #1 - #4.5

My Blood Approves 
(My Blood Approves #1)
by Amanda Hocking
YA 14 & up
Publisher: Amanda Hocking
Pub. Date: March 17th 2010
eBook
Rating: ♥♥♥♥♥








Summary: ~from goodreads~


Teenager Alice Bonham's life feels crazy after she meets Jack.  With his fondness for pink Chuck Taylors and New Wave, he's unlike anyone she knows.  Then she meets his brother, Peter.  Even though he can't stand the sight of her, she's drawn to him. Falling for two guys isn't even the worst of her problems. Jack and Peter are vampires, and Alice finds herself caught between love and her own blood.


Review:


I bought this book for my Nook awhile back after I finished Amanda's Trylle Trilogy.  The Trylle Trilogy was a self published book and I was impressed with the unique story and characters. With that said, I was expecting a little more from this book. I did enjoy reading it. I gave it a rating of 3, because I felt the story did not flow as well as I would like. It also had too many similarities to Twilight (by Stephanie Meyer). But I did enjoy the book enough to want to read the second one. This book does have a really good cliffhanger so I had to read the next one right away. A good cliffhanger usually guarantees that I will want to read more of the story.



                                                                     ❖❖❖❖



FATE (My Blood Approves #2)
by Amanda Hocking
YA 14 & UP
Publisher: Amanda Hocking
Pub. Date: April 25th 2010
eBook
Rating: ♥♥♥♥♥(3½)







Summary: ~from goodreads~


Alice Bonham thinks she's finally found a balance in her life between the supernatural and real life with her brother Milo. Jack - sorta vampire boyfriend - keeps her at arm's length to keep her safe.
 As for his brother Peter...she's not sure where he's at, or what he wants with her. Worse still, she's not even sure what she wants with Peter.
When tragedy happens, Alice finds herself struggling with a terrible choice. Her decision has consequences that reach farther than she'd ever imagine...


Review:


This series is definitely getting better. The series is growing on me. In this book Amanda has to deal with the unexpected turn of events. I like that there was a OMG moment where I didn't see that coming.  Alice really has to come to grip with reality, that her life as a normal teenage, is no more. Her relationship with her best friend Jane becomes strained. There is even more tension between Paul and Jack. Mae and Ezra are also at odds. Towards the end of the book it looks like Alice may be growing up. The ending to this book was really good and I liked the ending a little more than the previous book. The story has developed nicely and the characters have improved.  I finished reading it, wanting more.


                                                                           
                                                                       
                                                                          ❖❖❖❖



FLUTTER (My Blood Approves #3)
by Amanda Hocking
YA 14 & up
Publisher: Amanda Hocking
Pub. Date: May 29th 2010
eBook
Rating: ♥♥♥♥








Summary:~from goodreads~


Being undead doesn't make life any easier for Alice Bonham.
Her younger brother's love life is heating up, while hers is....more complicated. Mae is falling apart, her best friend Jane is addicted to vampire bites, and if Alice doesn't get her bloddlust under control, someone will end up dead.
Alice volunteers for a rescue mission with Ezra. But going up against a pack of rapid vampires might be too much, even for him.




Review:


I am really liking this series.  I really am not sure of Jack. As Alice grows up, the stories get better. Great book!  Alice has become a much stronger personality. Yes, she still is confused about Peter but she has made her decision. She has an inner strength she is discovering and steps up to help out others. Alice may be a vampire now, but being a vampire makes her have to make more decisions in her life. Being a vampire does not make life easier. Deciding what is right or wrong, what is safe and dangerous is not always clear.  Life is not a definite black and white, it is a shade of gray. With each book there has been different obstacles for Alice, but also for her friends and family.





                                                                      ❖❖❖❖




WISDOM (My Blood Approves #4)
by Amanda Hocking
YA 14 &up
Publisher: Amanda Hocking
Pub. Date:  August 23rd 2010
eBook
Rating: ♥♥♥♥(4½)








Summary: ~from goodreads~


Wisdom - the fourth book in the My Blood Approves series...For her eighteenth birthday, Alice Bonham takes a vacation to Australia only to have her trip cut short by an unexpected murder. While Alice tries to understand what happened, she regrets some of the choices she's made, especially the more permanent ones.




Review:


Amanda Hocking has done a great job developing this story  This book is my favorite one out of the four. The plot thickens and I became intrigued, wondering what is going to happen next. I spent every moment I could reading this book. Everyone has a role to play. The name Wisdom is a great title for this book. All the characters have life making decisions to make, and what they decide will affect where their path will lead. This book has mystery, suspense, a lot more action, sadness and relationships are put to the test (not just Alice and Jacks). I personally do not think Jack and Alice make a good couple they are just too different. When she became a vampire she not only changed physically, what she wants to do with her life changed also. To me she should of be with Paul. I am so looking forward to reading Swear(My Blood Approves #5). 





                                                                     ❖❖❖❖



LETTERS to ELISE: 
A PETER TOWNSEND NOVELLA 
(My Blood Approves #4.5)
by Amanda Hocking
YA 14 & up
Publisher: Amanda Hocking
Pub. Date: December 20th 2010
eBook
Rating: ♥♥♥♥








Summary:~from goodreads~


In my Blood Approves, Peter Townsend fell in love with Alice Bonham, but she wasn't his first love. In a new novella told through his letters, his history is revealed.


Review:

This novella is a great addition to the series.  This book gives a history of Peter from the time he turns to a vampire to meeting Alice. Peter story is told in his point of view. He writes letters to his wife while she was alive and after she died. I love reading his point of view of Alice and know more what he was feeling. I have always been a Peter fan, this just sealed it.







No comments:

Post a Comment