"I do not just want to read books; I want to climb inside them and live there." -Anonymous

March 8, 2012

Three short and sweet book reviews: Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce, Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout and The Taker by Alma Katsu



Sisters Red
by Jackson Pearce
YA: 14 & up
Publisher: Little Brown
Pub. Date June 7th 2010
Pages: 324
Rating: ♥♥♥♥






Summary: ~from the book cover~


Scarlett and Rosie March have spent years hunting the Fenris --werewolves who took Scarlett's eye in a brutal attack years ago.  Donning blood-red cloaks and wielding deadly hatchets, the sisters kill Fenris to protect other young girls from a grisly fate.  Yet even as the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves.  She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is lethal with an ax and is Scarlett's only friend--but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for?


Review:


I held off awhile not sure about reading this, because I was not sure if I would like to read a popular fairy tale retold. I am so glad I changed my mind. I really felt this was a good book. This is a dark version of the story placed in present time. It has a lot of action This book does contain some graphic fighting scenes, and  was written well. I loved how the sisters Scarlett and Rosie,(who are two years apart) are so close they feel as if they share one heart. Silas is their childhood friend and is loves them both. The three of them are bonded emotionally by the knowledge of the Fenris and becoming hunters together to protect innocent girls who do not know the big bad wolf really exist. In this story their bond they share becomes strained and tested.

                                                                           ❖❖❖❖


The Taker
by Alma Katsu
18 & up
Publisher: Gallery Books
Pub. Date September 6th 2011
Format eBook
Pages 448
Rating: ♥♥♥♥






Summary:(small part) ~from goodreads~


Part historical novel, part supernatural page-turner, "The Taker" is an unforgettable tale about the power of unrequited love not only to elevate and sustain, but also to blind and ultimately destroy, and how each of us is responsible for finding our own path to redemption.


My Summary:


The story begins with Dr. Luke Findley working on the late night shift in the ER. The local police bring in a beautiful and mysterious woman, Lanore McIlvrae (Lanny), with blood all over her clothes, who confesses to a murder  Dr. Luke Findley thought this was going to be another quiet night in this small town ER. Lanny is desperate to get away from the police and she reveals to Dr. Luke Findley that she is immortal and she needs his help. Lanny decides to confide in Luke and tells her story.


Review:

I was searching for historical fiction  for my nook and discovered The Taker. I found myself not wanting to put it down for many different reasons.  It is a thriller, has romance, is dark and has very disturbing scenes but it is needed to tell the story of Lanny. Lanny makes choices in her life that puts her in dangerous situations and it constantly tests her sanity. I do not consider this to be a paranormal story. This book is not about vampires, werewolves etc. I liked the fact that through reading the story I eventually found out how she became immortal. I gave it a rating of 4 because I did have a little trouble with the transition of switching from Luke's and Lanny's point of view which takes you from present to the 1800's.



                                                                           ❖❖❖❖




Obsidian(Lux #1)
by Jennifer L. Armentrout
YA 14 & up
Publisher: Entangled Publishing, LLC
Pub. Date: November 30th 2011
Format eBook
Pages 287
Rating: ♥♥♥♥♥





Summary ~ from goodreads~


When we moved to west Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring....until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.
-And then he opened his mouth.
Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy.  We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of  his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.
The hot alien living next door marks me.
You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.
-If I don't kill him first, that is.




Review




I love this book. That should not be a surprise since I love Jennifer L. Armentrout's Covenant series. Now I wasn't sure if I would like it because  the idea of a Alien boy next door did not appeal to me. But from the beginning I was absorbed into Katy's story and just did not want to stop reading, Very entertaining. and has a bit of mystery thrown in. I love the humor and the strained relationship that Katy and Daemon have. Daemon brings out a side of Katy she has never showed before. Katy starts out as a quiet girl who loves to blog. Her mom moves her to get a fresh start. Katy decides to go next door and meet the neighbors. Then she meets Daemon and finds him to be the most difficult boy she has ever met. She is pushed in having contact with him because of Daemons sister. His sister really likes Katy and wants to be great friends. So again I LOVED this book and can't wait until the next one.


                  









No comments:

Post a Comment