"I do not just want to read books; I want to climb inside them and live there." -Anonymous

May 4, 2012

Legend by Marie Lu

Legend (Legend #1)
by Marie Lu
Ages 12-17
Publisher: Penguin Group
Pub. Date: November 29, 2011
Pages: 336
Rating: ♥♥♥♥♥




Summary ~ from goodreads~


What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.
From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths-until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival. while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep secrets.
Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.


My Review:


I love this book as much as I love The Hunger Games and Divergent. I was hooked from the very beginning. Constant action, never a dull moment, and suspenseful. I did not want to put this book down. All the characters were written well. It was easy for me to visualize the surroundings the story was written in. I easily grew to care for June, Day and every character affected by the lies and in justice they endured. This is another book I can add to my growing list of dystopian / post-apocalyptic favorites. I am so glad, that I have another book I can recommend to my sixth graders at work. We have had many discussions over The Hunger Games and now after they read Legend we can discuss this one too.

 Each chapter alternates between Day and June.  I give a thumbs up to Marie Lu for deciding to tell the story in this way. Reading in both point of views gave me a better connection and empathy to both of them. Day and June were both raised and grew up under the same government. June from the wealthy district, and Day from the poor district. Their feelings for their government is different. As the story unfolds they meet and find themselves at odds with each other. Eventually many truths are revealed, difficult choices have to be made and trust is  eventually earned. June and Day both where in the dark about different things in their life's. I can't wait to see what June and Day decide to do about what they learn.

Marie Lu's next book to the trilogy of Legend is Prodigy.
January 2013
http://www.marielu.org/
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4342215.Marie_Lu

No comments:

Post a Comment